Monday, February 9, 2009

Digesting Digestion

For me (and perhaps many of us out there), learning about nutrition is fun and exciting, but even the smallest attempt to learn about digestion leaves my stomach tossing and turning. But to really understand nutrition means knowing about all the microscopic events that occur. I’m well into my first year of medical school, well into memorizing pages after pages of textbooks, and well into many late nights of deciphering the different paths that fats, proteins, and carbohydrates take in the human body. And with all these facts, I’m left feeling a little disoriented, unsatisfied, and with my stomach in knots.

I’m a visual learner, avoid details like the plague, and crave to see the “big picture”. So for all of you visual learners, I’d like to bring the big picture to motion picture, and suggest my personal remedy for making digestion fun and exciting again: the digestion episode of the Magic School Bus! I remember watching this in elementary school and thinking it was coolest thing ever (and I haven’t changed much). From time to time, I like to revisit this video just to feel good about how much I know … and remind myself of how much I don’t know.

Below is the For Lunch episode of the Magic School Bus. (Leave it to YouTube to have everything!) Parts 2 and 3 of the episode will automatically upload from the playlist. Enjoy!


2 comments: